Glasgow Prestwick Airport (GPA) are recruiting now for a Painter to conduct painting and general maintenance duties associated with the Facilities department. The ideal candidate will have a relevant NVQ qualification (or equivalent) with suitable recent proven work experience.
Owned by the Scottish Government, Glasgow Prestwick Airport directly employs more than 250 people and supports over 4,000 jobs across the aerospace cluster. Situated in the heart of Scotland’s aerospace industry we offer a diverse range of in-house aviation services providing vital connections to the rest of the world.
As a painter, you will carry out painting and general maintenance duties associated with the Airport Facilities department. This includes the routine painting of all areas of airport facilities, together with ensuring that all airfield paint markings are maintained in compliance with EASA regulations.
- Maintain all airport facilities from a painting perspective, including public, tenanted, and operational areas.
- Maintain all airfield paint markings in compliance with EASA regulations/CAP 168 (Licensing of Aerodromes) – Road signs and markings.
- Oversee project works which may from time to time be delegated to you by the Facilities Manager.
- To work closely with the Property Manager and undertake an internal works programme (as required) which will assist in securing the leasing/letting of GPA buildings.
- Ensure stocks of all required paints and materials are maintained at a reasonable level.
- To ensure all paints and materials are stored appropriately in compliance with COSHH regulations.
- To operate any item of equipment required to complete any tasks.
- To obtain and maintain a red airside vehicle driving permit.
- To obtain and maintain all licences required for the operation of MEWPs.
- To work in conjunction with all other trades within the department, as and when required.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as required, including assistance during winter operations, diversions, special events, etc.
Candidates should as a minimum have relevant NVQ qualifications (or equivalent) with suitable recent proven work experience.
- Knowledge of all legislative requirements for painting & decorating.
- Ability to estimate & cost required works.
- Experience of maintaining paint & materials stock.
- Current UK driving licence.
- Ability to obtain MEWP licences.
- Ability to obtain a full Airside driving licence. *
- Have a background within a Facilities Maintenance department.
- Knowledge & experience of painting Airfield & Airside surfaces.
- Experience of carrying out minor maintenance repairs expected within a Facilities Maintenance department.
- IOSH working safely (or equivalent).
- Work at height training.
- PASMA standard course.
- 3A & 3B MEWP licence.
- Asbestos awareness.
- COSHH assessor.
Abilities, Skills, Knowledge & Attributes:
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Ability to liaise with all levels of stakeholders, both internal and external, with limited supervision.
- Good planning, organisational and decision-making skills.
- Ability to multitask & prioritise workload.
- Self-motivated, shows initiative and has a “can do” attitude.
- Pro-active; positive; enthusiastic; flexibility; adaptability; self-confidence; professionalism; integrity; responsibility; passion and teamwork.
- Great attention to detail.
- IT competent.
- Ability to work at height.
- Ability to drive vehicles Airside.
Please note that to work at GPA you are required to:
- Comply with UK Right to Work checks and provide associated relevant documentation at interview.
- Confirm your identity by providing a copy of your passport or driving licence.
- Provide GPA with a complete five-year referencing history inclusive of all employment, self-employment, and education. Any gap period of 28 days or more must be covered by a personal reference to which you must also provide contact details.
- Upon request, provide a Criminal Record Check Certificate (Basic Disclosure) from Disclosure Scotland. This must not display any disqualifying convictions as detailed on the Civil Aviation Authority website.
- Where applicable, undertake a Counter Terrorist Check (CTC) and understand that deployment to any security related activities is conditional upon the satisfactory result of such a check.
*In accordance with regulations, this role requires you to meet DVLA Group 2 medical standards so that you can drive on our airfield (including on runways / taxiways). Therefore, please only apply for this role if you can meet the following standards:
- Vision – applicants must have a visual acuity (using corrective lenses if necessary) of at least 6/7.5 in the better eye and 6/60 in the other. Visual fields will be checked by confrontation method and if there is any doubt then an optician report is required.
- Colour perception – applicants are required to distinguish the colours red, green, and white using the Ishihara test plates (24) – 15 plates, presented in a random order, which must be identified without error or via an approved advanced colour vision test. The use of colour correcting lenses are not acceptable.
- Hearing – applicants must have the ability to hear a forced whisper in either ear at a distance of 2 metres. In case of doubt an audiometric examination will be necessary.
- General Health – applicants must disclose any medical condition, which might affect the ability to operate / drive safely. On disclosure of a medical condition which may affect the ability to operate / drive safely, reference is made to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) “Assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.”
The above will be assessed via our occupational health partner during the recruitment process and does not affect your statutory rights associated with the Equality Act 2010.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer and are committed to applying equal opportunities at all stages of our recruitment and selection process. Reasonable adjustments will be made to our recruitment process to ensure that no applicant is disadvantaged.
If you are interested in applying, please complete the following: